Friday, September 18, 2009

Finals fever: weekend footy preview

If you’ve been following this blog in its early stages, you’ve already had a win on the cricket last night.

Now it’s time for the footy finals.

Earlier in the week, I indicated that the Gold Coast vs Parramatta game was a coin flip. If that’s the case, it’s worth a small investment in the Titans at more than $3, purely for the reason we're getting "overs".

I also shouted during the week from the rooftops about the $1.37 on offer for the Saints to roll the Bulldogs out of the AFL tonight.

That price has firmed a couple of points to $1.35, but it’s still worth taking. One saying I’ve often heard associated with punting is the simple, yet effective: “A win’s a win”. Take the 35%.

As with all gambling, I could well be eating my words come Monday morning, but all form indicators point to a St Kilda win.

Take note, I haven’t touched the other game between Collingwood and Geelong, which leads to another adage: “Never put money on a game where the heart overpowers the mind.”

And my heart will be with the Pies as I sit in spirit with the black and white army.

As for the other rugby league match for the weekend, St George and the Broncos seem evenly poised with the minor premiers on shaky ground to be ousted from the finals series in straight sets.

Betting lines tell a similar story, with Brisbane slight favourites.

The Broncos have home ground advantage and some big-name players.

But I can find plenty of reasons not to back against any side, and I’ll be keeping my money well away from this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment